Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Atlantis undocks from ISS

Atlantis reveals its now-empty cargo bay.

It was a very busy day before Thanksgiving, and many errands needed to be completed before the feasts of the big day. It was finally growing dark before 6 pm MST as I drove up the final few blocks to home, when I barely noticed two new bright stars in the northern sky. That triggered my subconscious red flag alarms, as I knew there were no stars THAT bright in that part of the sky... and... they were moving. I quickly parked into my driveway and jumped out in time to watch the two objects move silently and steadily across the darkening sky. Atlantis was the slightly dimmer object and trailed the ISS, the enormously bright object. Eventually the pair of bright objects disappeared behind the peaks of Mt. Timpanogos.

Atlantis is due to land on Friday, completing mission STS-129. It is scheduled for only one more flight to the ISS.

No comments: